Director of Operations
The cafeteria kitchen of an Oklahoma State University dorm is an unlikely setting for the start of an enduring career, but that is where Chef Kurt Fleischfresser — through a part-time job intended to finance his college education — discovered his love for cooking more than 30 years ago. It was this passion that lured him away from college and across the country in a borrowed Volkswagen Rabbit to Chicago, to pursue entry into one of the country's great kitchens, Le Vichyssoise. Chef Bernard Cretier took Kurt in as an Apprentice Chef; now, he has created many great kitchens of his own.
After his apprenticeship, Kurt perfected his brand of gracious and elegant dining at:
- The French Room at The Adolphus Hotel in Dallas
- Enjolie at The Mandalay Four Seasons in Los Colinas
- Vincent's on Camelback in Phoenix
- La Champagne at the Registry Resort in Scottsdale
In 1988, Kurt joined The Coach House and brought with him a level of sophistication and seamless attention to detail. That same year, Kurt and former partner Chris Lower created the Restaurant Resource Group, which conceptualized several of Oklahoma City's foremost restaurants, including:
- The Metro Wine Bar and Bistro
- Ground Floor Café (seven locations)
- Iguana Lounge
- Earl's Rib Palace
- The Museum Café
- The Deep Fork Grill
- Irma's Burger Shack
- Montrachet (Tulsa)
In October of 2004, Kurt obtained full ownership of The Coach House. Under his experienced hand, The Coach House continues to offer ever-changing seasonal cuisine that highlights the best local produce and regional specialties.
In January of 2009, Kurt and The Coach House joined Carl Milam and his restaurant group, Western Concepts Restaurant Group, which consists of Sushi Neko, Musashi's, Will’s Café, Will Rogers Theater and The Lobby Bar. The combined restaurants gross more than $8 million annually.
In 2006, Kurt was selected for The Celebrated Chef program sponsored by the National Pork Board. He has also participated in Oklahoma State University's Hotel and Restaurant School Guest Chef Program twice.
In April of 2009, Kurt was awarded the Medaille de Merite by L'Academie de Gastronomie Brillat-Savarin for his contributions to culinary arts education. He is one of few with federal accreditation in the country. He joins the late Julia Child, Alan Wong from Hawaii and renowned celebrity Chef Paul Prudhomme as the only four American Chefs to receive the honor.
Kurt has been invited twice to the world-renown James Beard House in New York City as part of the Great Regional Chefs Program, and he is a two-time finalist in the prestigious American Culinary Gold Cup Competition, the first portion of The Bocuse d'Or. In 2003, Kurt won Oklahoma's "The Taste of Elegance" award sponsored by the Pork Producers.
Kurt currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Oklahoma Restaurant Association and is a member of The James Beard Organization and Slow Food.
- June 2009: Catered a seated dinner for 40 hosted by former President George W. Bush.
- Fall 2008: Catered a reception for former President Bush with 270 people in attendance.
- Fall 2008: Returned to Disney as a Guest Chef for cooking demos and Party for the Senses, a food and wine pairing for 1,400 people.
- Fall 2007: Collaborated with Disney Epcot for the Oklahoma Centennial Exhibit at Epcot Food and Wine Festival, sponsored by The Oklahoma Centennial Committee.
- Involved in a Katrina Relief dinner at Tremont 637 in Boston with the National Pork Board.
- Demonstrated at the Better Homes & Gardens test kitchen in Des Moines, Iowa, for its publishing food editors and writers.
- Participated in a media tour with the National Pork Board in Chicago and New York City. Cooked a recipe developed for the event "one on one" with several writers from different professional trade magazines.
- Wrote, co-produced and appeared in 26 episodes of "The Oklahoma Kitchen."
- Filmed 35 commercials for the Made in Oklahoma Coalition.
- Filmed commercials for the Oklahoma Beef Producers.
- Winter 2012: Set up and cooked demonstrations at Fruit Logistica in Berlin, Germany.
- Spring 2011: Conducted one-day training on Native American culinary influence on American cuisine for 12 visiting Chefs from Shanghai at John Folse Culinary School in Thibodaux, Louisiana.
- Spring 2010: Guest Chef in Munich, Germany, for the 20th Symposium Feines Essen + Trinken (Fine Food and Drink).
- Summer 2009: Guest Chef in Munich, Germany, for the 19th Symposium Feines Essen + Trinken (Fine Food and Drink).
- September 2008: Cohosted with Michel Buthion a wine and food tour of Alsace, France, for 18 people.
- September 2007: Hosted a culinary adventure in Tuscany based out of a hamlet named Fighine for 26 people, including wine tours, market shopping and hands-on cooking.
- September 2006: Performed cooking demonstrations and media at the Ambassador's mansion in the Hague for 200 professionals, promoting products of the Southern United States, as well as meeting with retailers for possible product placement.
- April 2006: Performed product demonstrations in Munich at Symposium Feines Essen + Trinken 2006 with Susta and CMC Company, taking first prize for Booth Presentation.
- 2006: Hosted Chefs and a buyer from Hong Kong at the NRA Restaurant Show 2006 and on a tour of seafood processing plants in the Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia.
- January 2006: Cohosted with Michel Buthion a wine and food tour of central Chile for 20 people.
- 2005: Performed demonstrations in an American Food Area at the Ka De We in Berlin, Germany, for five days.
- 2004: Planned and executed a Southern U.S. menu at Termas de Coqueneas and conducted seminars at cooking schools in Santiago, Chile.
- 2003: Traveled to China on behalf of SUSTA to promote products of the Southern United States. Filmed television programs, conducted seminars and Chef classes, and trained Chefs in the Western style of cooking in Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and Hong Kong (three-week program).
- 2003: Planned and executed a Southern U.S. menu at SIAL Show in Paris, France (five-day program).
- 2002: Planned and executed a Southern U.S. menu at ANUGA Show in Kolin, Germany (five-day program).
- 2001: Planned and executed a Southern U.S. menu at The Compass Rose in the Stamford Westin, Singapore (15-day program).